Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How To: Make Closed Cell Foam Inserts for 10th scale

Kind of late to the party as most companies (JConcepts and Pro-Line) will be releasing pre-fab versions in the next few weeks (so I have been told). But here is how I made my own out of old 8th scale foams.


Step 1: Bust out 8th scale foam


Step 2: Cut foam on a 45 degree angle using sharp scissors. The 45 degree angle helps mask any hard spots. The 3M glue dries with a soft seam (well at least way softer than using CA)


Step 3: Figure out how much to cut off (through some trial and error I found a good length and marked it on my super pimp quartz set up board :P)


Step 4: Match up a 45 degree cut at the desired length and cut.


Step 5: Check fit of cut.


Step 6: Ideally use 3M 74 Fast Foam Adhesive (I ran out so had to use 3M 77). Shake the crap out of it.


Step 7: Spray both sides for maximum hold.


Step 8: Align ends and hold in place for a minute for the glue to tack up.


Step 9: I throw mine in the inside of a packaging tape roll. This will hold it's form and keep pressure on the joint until the glue dries. I found it better than using elastics or tape.


Step 10: Check bond after glue dries. Mount 'em up!

2 comments:

pharrison said...

Thank for mention Dirt Trax Johnny.

Hope to see you here for the race in a few weeks.

Peter

pharrison said...

P.S was hoping to get down to TO for the Hobby show but I don't think it is gonna be possible.
That being said. I know there are few from here heading down..Kevin Tyler, Joe Glover etc.