Wednesday, December 31, 2008
That's right kiddies. Just like Eddie Grant says: It's time to rock down to electric avenue! No better way to start off the New Year than with this classic! 22 years this race has been running and it will pull in about 300 entries! Also, new teammate Jared Tebo will have his first big race with his Kyosho rides. They are promising me stable internet this year so look out for lots of updates: Pro car pics, video's of the action, driver interviews, in car camera video of the track (nobody better bite my idea!) plus whatever other nonsense I can think of! Giddie Up!
Sunday, December 28, 2008
So Me, Chet, Steve M, Steve N, Ryan, Chewy, Gump, JB and Abiye all made the trip down to Michigan to check out their newest track: The Extreme Sports Dome! Literally across the Blue Water Bridge, Chet and I left my place at 5am and made it there in under 3 hours even in the crazy thick fog the entire way down there (you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you). The place is pretty cool. There are tons of amenities around and the building is huge. I heard it used to be an indoor golf range and it is now an indoor motocross track and R/C track. There is tons of space in the building, concession stand, hobby store and motorcycle shop. The track itself it big and the view from the drivers stand is good. The tires of choice seemed to be Taper Pins, Double Dee's and Holeshots (slighty worn seemed to have worked well). We also lucked out with the weather as it was about 13 degree outside so we were pretty comfortable indoors there without a sweater or jacket. On to the action:
I ended up using JConcepts Double Dee and Rounder Tires in Green Compound (with the stock foams) at this event. These have been great all around tires and I have used them in a variety of different track surfaces (shameless plug :P )
3 rounds of intense qualifying! There were battles for the win in each heat for most of the 5 minutes. Young Losi gun Dakotah Phend fended (ha!) off advances from myself, on road crossover JB Catricala, Jon Finstrom, Abiye Birku and Chet Kelsey to take the TQ after the dust had settled. The top five for the main was Dakotah, Myself, Abiye, JB and Chet.
|Driver Qualifying Order|
In the Main, everyone got off pretty clean. A couple of small bobbles on my part let Dakota check out. We were pretty much the same distance aprt for most of the 7 minute race. JB made up some ground on me near the end but a couple of mistakes kept him from fully closing the gap. I think there were some pile ups with some of the other racers in the race and that made it impossible for them to get back up to the lead group. It was fairly un-eventful actually...haha.
Again, fierce battles in qualifying. TQ and lead changes in every heat and every round. You really needed to have your timing down in the jumps or you lost precious seconds. After all and said and done, Dakota eeked out Mike Ciresi for the TQ spot by about a second I think. I slotted into the third spot, Chet in 4th and Jon in 5th.
|Driver Qualifying Order|
So I put my car down and run up to the stand only to find out I had no throttle! I ran back down and started to troubleshoot. I checked the connections, put a different battery in and still nothing. Mike came down to help and we swapped a sensor wire but still nothing. I think I might have popped the ESC somehow? Absolutely gutted, I sat on the sideline for my favorite class. I do appreciate the "mercy minute" from all the drivers but I guess those are the breaks. I will have to dive deeper into it once I get home. At the tone they rocketed off the line and Mike got into some trouble to slide back to 6th! Dakota once again drove a pretty clean race and started to stretch it out. There were some minor crashes and the order was shaken up a bit. Mike was charging hard and was the only guy tripling the midfield jump section trying to get back in the mix. He reeled in Dakota a couple of times and then fell back only to reel him in again. After seven minutes Mike got right up onto Dakota after Dakota double doubled the midfield jumps and Mike triple singled it. Dakota left a small gap in the final corner and Mike dove in and put a sweet block pass on him. Neck and neck on the final stretch into the double double before the finish line they were both PINNED! There was minor paint rubbing as they dashed for the finish and Mike spun out and Dakota cartwheeled over the finish line to take his second victory of the night! Was a great race to watch!
Edit: The computer missed a lap for Chet hence the changes in the standings.
8th scale electric
Only 4 guys for this one, but the cars were so cool to watch out there. I think this could be the next big class for sure! 2 RC8's and 2 Losi 8ight were there to continue the long standing rival between the "Big Two". Abiye's 8ight was absolutley DIALED out there and proceeded to take the TQ from Dakota with Steve and Gino in Tow.
|Driver Qualifying Order|
Abiye would be the man to keep Dakota from a clean sweep of the event. Dakota might have been on Christmas vaction from regular school, but Abiye put school back in session for them all and drove an ultra clean and fast race to put a lap up on the field.
Again, I never give Truck the respect it deserves when it comes to reporting (in my defence I am usually getting prepped for my mains). I was marshalling so I couldn't really watch the event unfold. I do know that Ryan worked his way into the lead from his second spot on the grid and stretched it out a bit before his....we'll....I will call it a meltdown! LOL. Still new to the hobby, Ryan's nerves out in the lead got the best of him and a couple of key bobbles let Rozzel reel him in and take over. Ryan would have to settle for second this time around. I was giving him a hard time at dinner about it!
|Driver Qualifying Order|
I give the Slash class even less coverage! LOL. It was cool to watch, But I was busy getting ready for my mains. I even forgot to take a picture of the results. Sorry guys. I think Chewy got 2nd.
Edit: Full Qualifying and Main Results Here:
Mike was absent yet again from the road trips. He was probably sipping club soda's with some lady associates or something.
- I think I did alright for being on 2 hours sleep (the wife made me go to a party and drink wine...) and then driving for 3 hours and not drinking enough fluids at the track. These early morning departures are brutal!
- Customs were not too bad either direction. We got searched coming home for a couple of minutes, but it was no big deal. It only seems to happen when I travel with Chet.
- I did declare the 3 tins of baby formula I bought for my son as part of the deal I struck with my wife so I could go to the race (You can't get it in Canada).
- Thanks to Gino for pointing out Chili's had Rolling Rock beer at dinner. Another drink you can't get in Canada. It was tasty (if you can call any American beer that...haha).
- There were concerns of the MX noise at the place. I brought my sweet iLUV noise cancelling headphones and some dollar store ear plugs just in case. In all honesty, when the MX guys were going full on, it was a little noisy (noisier than a Nitro event), but they were not going all day and I personally didn't mind it.
- The track was really cool and again all the locals were very cool and laid back. It's great to havev people like this in the hobby!
- Dakota is still one of the nicest kids in R/C that I know. Very calm and collected on the stand and very fast and clean on the track.
- I was excited to learn he was going to be racing there.
- I was disappointed when he showed up with out cup cakes....lol
- JB from fastcats came out to race dirt. He is primarily a pan car carpet ace and offroad carpet ace, but did just fine out there in the dirt. Hope to see you come out for more dirt action!
- Ryan, you will get over the nerves thing...Just need to race more.
- I was sooooooo disapointed I couldn't run the 2wd main. I looove 2wd.
- Gino, I saw you triple the midfield jump section a few time's in the 8th scale main...Awesome!
- I tried the new "Tebo" set up on my RB5 and while it looked really weird on paper, it drove quite well! Sweet to have a driver of his caliber on the Red Army to help out with set ups!
- Anyone know if the girl who climbed to the top of the rock wall ever got down...HAHA
- It was the first outing for my new Kyosho Lazer FS kit and I really have to say it drives WAAAAAY better than my SP did. I did not think it would be that mutch better, but it really is.
- I did not break one Lazer part either. The new parts are strong!
- Thanks to Mike Ciresi for the invite out and the hospitality and the $35 cash winning for my second place finish in the 4wd main.
- They gave out a whack load of door prizes. Enough that I think almost everybody got two. I picked up a sweet Racers Edge hole reamer and some pimp pink zip ties..lol.
- The Crispy Chicken Taco's at Chili's were awesome. Their fries are good too.
- I was in bed by 11:20pm. Not too bad.
So I think that might be it until CRCRC Midwest Champs. Can't wait to get to that one!
Some pictures and Video's (I'll try and get more videos from the other guys)
Dakota laying down some laps
The Canadian Contingent!
Tweaking the new Lazer FS
Some Brap Braaaap action on the other side.
Picked these up at the dollar store just in case. I didn't end up using them, but a few others did.
Gino filling up on some goodies before the mains
Overview of the track.
The Phends. One at work, one at play. haha
View of the stands from the pits
Mike on the mic....handing out door prizes.
John :Chewy" Baker...always working on a track!
I am a bad man. I will admit publicly that I smuggled an outside food product into the building. I needed to eat this though as it was calling my name from my car....
Dakota's Losi XXX-CR
johnnyboy's Lazer FS
Mike Ciresi's RB5
Gino's RC8. the wires were so cleanly done on his Mamba Monster Max until it went up in smoke and he had to scramble to put this unit in.
Abiye's Losi 8ight E. This thing was dialed!
Steve's BJ4WE as his B44 is still in the hands of the Post Office.
edit: could Steve be the new Grmek in regards to "The Landfill"? Only time will tell...
A Lap with Chet
A Lap with Dakota (early in the day)
A Lap of MX
My RB5 Set Up Sheet
My Lazer FS Set Up Sheet
Also have entered the 'ol blog in: