Monday, January 14, 2008

CRCRC Day 5 - Race Day















"The Bucket" Spilled twice on the dirt floor under MY spot.















This is what happens when you set your charger to trickle charge on a Li-Po pack. THIS WAS USER ERROR, not the packs fault.
















My Lazer SP ready to go for the main
















The RB5 ready to salvage some pride in the D Main
















Steve hard at work tweaking the BJ4WE















Someone wanted a pic of Robbers cars
















Me and Hotel rooms don't mix very well.















My nice organized pit area.....















What we like to refer to as "Mike's Landfill" of a pit space















Mr. Sweep. Ryan Cavaleri's cars. Funny, he didn't look that fast on day one, but once he gets the hang of the track, the guy hits his lines EVERY lap and his cars had so much punch and speed. If you let him get out front, you are finished.



The now infamous speeding ticket. It was funny how many guys at the race came up to Steve and asked how much the ticket was.




The Triple with Joe Pillars RB5




Some 4wd A Main action over the Ripples and Trriple. It was very hard to clear the ripples smoothly.



Well most of you have probably seen the results on LiveRC.com. We were way too beat and tired to update after the race. We actually packed up and left after my 4wd main as we had a 6 hour drive home. No tickets this time (we had some good lead cars to follow the whole way home). I can't upload some of the A Main videos yet as they are HUGE files. I'll get Steve to put them up here or on YouTube or something. So I ended up in the D Main for both 2wd and 4wd (6th postion in 2wd and 9th in 4wd). The 2wd race was pretty good I guess. Held back for the first corner and hoped for a pile up. Pretty much happened and I weaved my way through into 1st place by turn 3. Built up a 7 second lead and put it on cruise control for pretty much the whole race. 2nd place put on a good run and reeled my in to within about a second by the last corner/lap, but I upped my pace enough to keep him at bay and cruised in for the win. Salvaged a little pride there I guess! In the 4wd race, pretty much the same thing but worse. It was a gong show start and I think by the second lap I got out into first place. I couldn't get the Lazer set up perfectly though (made some last ditch set up changes for the main and told the guys it was going to be the podium or a broken car as I was going to clear the ripples and triple) and had some trouble in the ripples but being out in front, I played it safe with the double single. I bobbled a few time and actually went back to dead last...lol. I then decided to clear the ripples and the triple lap after lap and it actually worked! Got back up to 4th by the last corner. Cleared the triple (3rd place double singled) and I came out to the final straight about a car length behind. The drag race was on to the finish line and my Orion 5.5 Brushless motor/ Orion Lipo combo didn't let me down. I passed the guy right at the line to take 3rd place by 0.032 of a second (like a quarter car length!). That was a pretty exciting finish for my weekend. As for the A Mains, I'll try and get them up and let their driving do the talking. Cavaleri was on fire though and just couldn't be touched. He really was impressive to watch. We asked him what he changed on his car as he looked like ass on the first day (to be honest...haha). He just said he finally got used to the track and didn't change his set up.

Other quick shout outs:

- Big thank you to Joe Pillars for helping me out with set up and a couple of parts that I broke. I really appreciate being on the Kyosho/Orion team and only wish I had more time to socialize with the other Kyosho drivers there.

- Brent Theilke for helping out my buddy Steve. He seemed like a really cool dude and I saw him helping lots of guys out too.

- Jeremy Fellas for his marshalling prowness! He was a superman out there. Always watching his corner, anticipating crashes, volunteering for marshalling and even catching cars going off track mid air and throwing them back on the track. He set a great example for other racers and was a class act (except for some of his choices in pants perhaps).

- CRCRC. They ran a smooth race and I didn't notice any problems the whole week we were there.

- TGI Friday's for hiring hot chicks.

- Brian Bellinger from Glenwood RC for some set up help as well.

- Canada Customs for not searching our vehicle.


See you guys next year!

No comments: