Monday, April 7, 2008

Southern Ontario Indoor Off Road Championships - Mains

Main Day

Sorry for not updating last night, but I have not seen my wife or son (aside from them sleeping) for three days so I spent some family time when I got home.

Well no practice in the morning and they went straight into the mains. I had a long ass wait being in the A (to the tune of 4 hours). The only bad thing about these bigger races. Good thing the sun was out and I caught up on some sleep in the peace and quiet of my nice warm car. To get the Nitro results out of the way:

8th scale A Main Truggy:
Dave Henry was TQ and pretty much ran away with it. I was marshalling this race and he was driving the smoothest out there by a long shot. Team mate Gareth Houban was 2nd and Glenwood's Kyle Inman drove a great race to finish in 3rd. Justin William and Mike Burr rounded out the top five. My Kyosho teammate Andrew Phillipe finished in 6th place

8th scale A Main Buggy:
This was the race of the day. Awesome battles for 1st, 2nd and 3rd for much of the race. Dave Henry, George Stiliadis and Ben Wheeler swapped the lead countless times and it really was anyones race up until even the last lap where a hard charging Ben was making up ground on Dave Henry but perhaps just was a few laps short of catching him. He flamed out 2 seconds behind Dave with about 4 corners to go. Great drive from him though. I don't know too many of the Nitro guys but I saw this kid driving in practice and though he was really smooth, calm and collected for such a young racer. Excellent run and he gave Dave good run for the money! George ended up in 3rd with Gareth Houban and Mike Burr rounding out the top five. I think Andrew Phillipe was in the B Main, but I missed it.

8th Scale MT A Main:
Old Skooler and MT ninja Martin Petre easily took the A Main followed by Jason Tuer and Bill Gumbert.

Electric 2wd A Main:

Well I was on the TQ spot but kinda choked out there a bit. It was loose as a goose out there come main time and my car was a bit of a handful in the traction department. Glenwood RC's Brian Bellinger, Cory Pullman and myself must have swapped the lead half a dozen times on the blown out and rough track. Great racing and I think we were all very sportsman like in the race when we bumped each other a few times. The RB5 was awesome in the ripples and bumps but I made a few mistakes. Cory drove a clean race when he got out in the lead and I battled back to make a sweet pass on Brian in the second last corner of the final lap to get back to 2nd and then a rut swallowed my car whole and spit me out on my lid right at the last corner! Brian sneaked by to steal 2nd at the line. This was a super fun race though and the Glenwood guys are always great to race with! My competitive side was still pretty pissed that I lost (I have competitive issues...haha) but those dudes drove great in the main. Kyle Inman and Anthony Muscato rounded out the top 5.

Electric 4wd A Main:

Sitting on TQ again and possibly still pissed about losing the 2wd race. I drove some Angry Asian driving and proceeded to check out and not look back in this main. To be honest I don't really know what happened behind me. I saw (new to electric) driver Kenny Thompson come from 4th or 5th to second on the first lap and then I don't know from there. I was too focused on winning this one. I took this race to salvage some pride (by 20 seconds :P) , Brian Bellinger battled back for 2nd and "Losi's suck in the rough" Abiye Birku drove a great race with his XXX to 3rd. Corey Pullman and George Stiliadis rounded out the top 5

Random Thoughts:

- Sitting around all day sucks
- I wish we could have had a few minutes of practice on Sunday just to see how the track had changed from the day before (especially after all those Nitro rounds went through it).
- I think the electric guys who opted out of this one missed some great racing and a really great track layout
- Matt and crew put on a decent event. There were very few (if any) hiccups for the weekend
- The Chesterman Indoor MX building is a great race venue.
- I don't know what is going on with me lately. I have finished better in 4wd in the last three races I have entered. I like 2wd much better and my RB5 gets more love than the the Lazer for sure.
- I did NOT spill the tire water bucket once all weekend long although Justin gave me shit for the Buggy Grip smell.
- While I wouldn't mind trying 8th scale buggy, I think it will just be too much work to get into. That and with me still racing mountain bikes and having an 8 month old son, I just don't have the time. If I stop racing bikes and find some time though you Nitro guys better watch out as I don't race anything half assed.
- I love A&W in Tillsonburg for having a late night drive through
- I hate the Coffee Culture in Tillsonburg for not opening before 8am
- That Ben Wheeler kid really impressed me with his driving
- You could tell when the Glenwood guys were behind the computer as it sounded like you were at a Pro Supercross event! Those guys have some announcing skills.
- If I race this next year I am thinking of just showing up on Sunday and try to just bump up to the A Main as this will free up the rest of my weekend :)




1st and 3rd for the weekend (TQ for both)

ZX-5SP Equipment:
Team Orion Vortex 6.5 Brushless Motor 21/78
Team Orion 3600 Race Spec Li-Po
Team Orion Advantage Carbon Edition Charger


RB5 Equipment:

Team Orion Vortex 7.5 Brushless Motor 24/78
Team Orion 3600 Race Spec Li-Po
Team Orion Advantage Carbon Edition Charger

*Set Up Sheets Coming




2wd Results


4wd Results



Artsy Fartsy Shots

The track was grooving up in spots, but there was still a fine dusting of dirt over most of it









Ben Wheeler doing a few laps



A little Ripple and Double action

No comments: