Sunday, February 10, 2008

2008 Factory Tracks "Big Kahuna Shootout"






The layout for this years race. Fun track!




It was Dakota Phends birthday (9th or 10th or something) and there were probably 150 yummy cupcakes that were dished out on Saturday. Dakota rode his sugar high to a win in the 4wd Modified A Main Class(!). Phenom Phends was cool and collected out there for such a young racer! Polite kid too.




My RB5. I tried the rear middle kit again and again I did not like it. Broke a rear arm and then I switched back to the stock rear end and the car felt a lot better. So I have a free rear middle arm left if someone wants one for a spare!

Action shot by Jason Kussner. Thanks!




Another shot from Jason.


There were a fair amount of Kyosho boys at the race! Thanks to the guys for the extra steering racks....funny, I was laughing on RC Tech at all the guys busting racks as I have never broke one (I've been running the car since last May too), then I come here and snap two of them (although they were not my fault as I got smoked by flying cars in the big triple jump in practice).




There were people EVERYWHERE! Total of 220 racers (I think they were expecting around 140...). It was tight, but everyone was pretty cool.


The Big Kahuna Memorial Lap. Never knew him, but it looked like he was well liked and missed.



Random nonsense...I was going to actually make a video of the trip with some production value but I didn't get enough footage. Maybe this spring!




"Watch the Triple" Part II. Americans and their crazy jumps!

I youtube'd the 2wd A Main here:


So another road trip but this time to Michigan to check out Al Horne's new indoor track and race the Big Kahuna Shootout. Skipped out of work early and Mike, "Speed Demon" Steve and I were once again off to play with our toy cars. Took us just under 4 hours to get there (no speeding tickets this time as I drove the whole way down). Good thing we arrived for Friday practice as they ended up having 220 entries (one of the biggest electric off road races in North America now!) and pit space was tight. We had some minor breaker popping problems but they got sorted out pretty quick. They brought in some new dirt recently (I was looking forward to running a tire with pins again) which made it a slick tire track. Back to the CRCRC set up...lol. My cars were running pretty good but I still am not used to the slick tire/clay track driving. Saturday had morning practice and the racing kicked off at noon. 2wd qualifying was rough and I didn't really get a good run in either. 4wd I was running better (first time that has ever happened to me). with 220 entries three rounds of qualifying and mains it was going to be a crazy long day. They put it to a vote and we opted to just use the 2 rounds and go right into the mains to save time. I would have liked a third round to qualify better, but I wanted to get home before daylight the next day so I voted for two rounds. This landed me 5th in the C Main in 2wd (uhg) and 5th in the A Main in 4wd (again, first time I have even been better in 4wd). The 2wd main was sort of like my race at CRCRC. I weaved my way into first (jumping the triple jump every lap) but things for me got loose and I could not make the triple consistantly and had a few crashes that put me down into 2nd. A few more bobbles let first place check out and it was pretty much a cruise for 2nd place. In 4wd I got up to 3rd I think for a little and then was battling for 4th with Mike for a bit then slotted into 5th place for the remainder of the race. I need to find the secret of keeping rear end traction late in the day on these clay tracks as my cars were pretty loose come the mains. We packed up quick as it was already about midnight and we had a 4 hour drive home still. Sorry we couldn't stick around for the awards.

I would like to thank:

- Al Horne and the Factory Tracks crew for the hospitality. The facility was really nice and everyone there was great! Can't wait to hit up the outdoor series!
- The Kyosho boys for helping me out with the steering rack parts! (e-mail me your addresses and I'll get them replaced for you!)
- Steve and Mike for driving home (I got to sleep the whole way home!)
- Canada Customs again for the hassle free re-entry
- My wife for not changing the lock again :P

Random Comments:

- Chucks car was DIALED.
- There was a Losi guy who ran truck tires on the back of his CR for the main...looked funny as hell. He then proceeds to do perfect back flips over the triple. The crowd went wild!
- Dakota is a fast little dude
- I won't jinx myself by laughing at people on the net who broke steering racks..Karma is a bitch! HAHA.
- Mike did not have one club soda (with lime) this entire trip NOR did he spill the tire water bucket!

No comments: